Our coffees are decaffeinated using one of two methods: the MC Water Method, or the SWISS WATER® Process method.
The MC Water Method
Most of our decaffeinated coffees are processed in Hamburg, Germany, using the Methylene Chloride (MC) Method. Green coffee is steamed and then rinsed with methylene chloride several times to remove as much caffeine as possible. The beans are then dried and the solvent evaporated away in a vacuum. This is considered the best tasting decaf coffee. (Not to worry...any remaining residue vaporizes at 170 degrees F.) and removes the caffeine, but little else in the bean.
The SWISS WATER® Process Method
Some of our coffees (clearly identified, including all of the Fair Trade Organic coffees) are decaffeinated using the SWISS WATER® Process. The SWISS WATER® Process is a taste-driven, 100% chemical free decaffeination process that delivers coffee that is 99.9% caffeine-free while protecting the unique origin characteristics and flavor. SWISS WATER® Process uses a diffusion process which allows the gentle displacement of caffeine from green coffee. Green beans are soaked in Green Coffee Extract (GCE) which is pure water saturated with soluble solids from green coffee. With time and temperature, the caffeine migrates out of the green beans into the Green Coffee Extract (GCE). The water is filtered, capturing and extracting the caffeine molecules. The flavor and body of the coffee is protected by closely monitoring the solids, caffeine levels and moisture in the coffee. The process takes approximately 10 hours resulting in green beans that are 99.9% caffeine-free.
Guaranteed 97 percent caffeine free
Today, all decaffeinated coffees retain a minute amount of caffeine and also lose some flavor during the decaffeinating process. This method of decafffeinating uses no chemicals, retains coffee flavors, and removes the most caffeine. Our naturally decaffeinated coffees are guaranteed to be at least 97% caffeine free.
- Black Gold Decaf - Medium bodied, full flavored. A perfect choice for decaffeinated lovers, doesn't taste like decaf order now
- Breakfast Brew Decaf - Mild tasting, full bodied brew.
- Colombian Decaf (SWISS WATER® Process) - Naturally decaffeinated, chemical free. Full flavor.
- Colombian Supremo Decaf - Fine mild taste. Full bodied brew with the caffeine removed.
- Costa Rican Tarrazu Decaf - Known for it's mild, clean, tangy taste.
- Ethiopian Decaf - Wildly sharp tanginess without the caffeine.
- French Roast Decaf - A heavy body with a intense, smoky flavor.
- Hawaiian Kauai Decaf (SWISS WATER® Process) - Naturally decaffeinated, chemical free. Unique taste.
- Italian Decaf - Creates a heavy body with intense smoky flavor.
- Latte Blend Decaf - Indonesian & Central American beans creates a heavy body with intense smoky flavor.
- Pacific Espresso Decaf - Heavy body with strong, smooth aftertaste.
- Sumatra Decaf (SWISS WATER® Process) -Naturally decaffeinated, chemical free. Smooth taste.
- Sumatra Mandheling Decaf - Mild satisfying flavor and a rich full bodied taste.
- Velvet Hammer Decaf - Intense in every category. Sharp acidity enveloped in a smoky flavor. A great decaf choice.
- Vienna Decaf - A perfect balance of light & dark roasts.